Thursday, June 11, 2009

Goo

Today Isabella and I went for our usual walk after I got home from work. When I brought her in, she began crying. So out we went and she calmed down.

Isabella seems to love being outside. Whether it's our messy home, I do not know. She and I wandered onto our back deck and sat on a bench. Trees overhand our deck; their drooping leaves making a green canopy. As we sat, I told her what sounds where what; our little chimes twinkling nearby in the wind, a yip of a small sounding dog, the neighborhood children laughing several houses away.

She and I begin this game. I cradle her in front of me, in my hands, so she can look at me. Then I begin mimicking her sounds back at her. If I get it right, her eyes light up in recognition and away we go. A half smile will change to a "oh" sound while her eyes are locked on mine; trying to drink me in.

"ah,ah,ah...ah" I start.

She burbles a bit and I try again.

"ah...ah,ah,ah"

"...ah..." she'll reward me with a winning smile as she repeats me.

"...ah...goo.." she said. I never thought I'd actually hear a baby go "goo" at me. It was just too expected.

"Goo" I sounded back to her

And she rewarded me with a smile, knowing she had been heard.

No comments: