Thursday, February 02, 2006

Thursday, February 02, 2006

This morning, as I drove my daughter to daycare, I noticed an odd looking license plate on the car in front. As we stopped at a light, the license became clear. It had the background of an American Flag overlayed with a stylized bald Eagle. The words "support our troops" was on the bottom in white. It seemed sort of odd to me. I found myself imagining a conversation as to why they would get such a license plate and find myself struglling against making assumptions. It seems that when I find someone who is supporting enough to buy a license plate; they end up being on the conservative isle...

I feel that the term "support our troops" is a loaded phrase now. To some, it simply means that they are showing their support for the men and women who volunteered to go fight. For others it seems to also hold support for the current administration and their policies. It's almost as if it should really say "I support our president".

So when I see this licenese, I find myself looking at the car and the driver; trying to ascertain what sort of person they might be. I would expect them to be driving some big SUV, or some shiny big truck that will never see mud. the driver would be predominantly white and suburbanite.

No comments: