Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sleeptime politics

My wife and I have allowed my daughter to sleep with us in our bed for sometime now. My daughter has her own bed, of course. It's a nice loft bed from Ikea. I believe she stays with us partly because she doesn't like sleeping alone, for fear of nightmares. Our bed is also bigger and plushier than hers.

Even in our king sized bed, I sleep poorly when my daughter is with us. She has a tornadic tendency for splaying her arms and legs about. Often, I surface from slumber to find my daughter, sleeping between my wife and I, has burrowed into my wife's back while kneeing me in mine.

So it was with profound relief when my daughter began laying on her side with one leg loosely draped across me.

Until, still asleep, she used that leg for leverage as she stretched as if dreaming...and knee'd me in the lower back with her other leg.

No comments: