Thursday, March 19, 2009

It's as easy as...

So yesterday, I arrived home to find it empty.

They're out practicing, I thought to myself.

I walked down the street, looking for a pregnant woman and little girl on a bicycle; the seemingly too large bicycle helmet making her look like a bobble-head doll.

The streets were empty. I checked the garage and indeed, her bicycle was missing. I started up my car and drove to our nearby park. Not knowing where they were, my mind began reeling. I pictured my daughter shooting out into an intersection just as I drove by. How horribly ironic that she'd learn how to ride, only to be clipped by her own father.

I shook out the emotion, feeling a bit shamed that I'd even consider such a scenario as I turned the corner and pulled into the vicinity of the park. No sooner had I began driving very slowly around the circular city park, that I noticed two young girls riding their bicycles. The bobble-head of one of the girls was unmistakable and I turned the car around to meet my daughter.

"Rob!" her friend yelled to me "Look! she's riding!"

My daughter coasted to an uneven stop next to the curb, her overjoyed smile seeming to encompass the whole of her face. I smiled back, then looked around and beyond for my wife; expecting her to be there so as to give my daughter the starting push.

"Hi Daddy" my daughter said.

Where was my wife?

Her neighborhood friend, unable to control her excitement blurted "...And she doesn't even need a push!"

"Wow! That's FANTASTIC!" I exclaimed, ecstatic at the unexpected surprise.

And to think my daughter had just learned how to ride the day before. I forget how easy it is...

No comments: