Tuesday, March 10, 2009

No Man's Zone or Old Man's Zone, take your pick

My seven-year old daughter and I were playing hallway soccer as winter stormed outside. We had closed the doors to the bathroom and two bedrooms; effectively creating a dead end to the hallway. I stood at the opposite end where the hallway met the living room. My daughter defended the dead end. We had quickly agreed that I would not advance past a certain point. She also would not kick the ball beyond one of the doors. This turned a space of the hallway into a no-man zone.

With few rules we were basically just kicking the little soft and plush ball back and forth, giggling.

Every few kicks one of us would either make the ball go airborne or it'd sail into the living room; sending me chasing under furniture. I returned from the hallway at a point and lamely kicked launched the ball with a socked foot.

It landed in the space where none could enter.

"Oh, daddy," my daughter giggled "You sent the ball into the Old Man's Zone"

No comments: