Friday, December 18, 2009

this and that

It is almost Christmas. Annika is very excited at the prospect of getting gifts. Isabella is her normal cheery seven-month old self; burbling to no one and everyone. Kris is applying for a job as a manager in her office.

I begin my new technical writing job January 4th. My last day is New Years Eve.

I will miss not being a full time employee, but I also believe a bit of excitement never hurt; and might even lead to more interesting things.

I know I am excited at beginning the new job. Consequently, I am also anxious at doing a good job and catching on quickly. While I know I will do just fine, I am suffering flashes of insecurity; which really sucks.

This last week, I had Kris' car, which I took in to have looked at. Before she left earlier that morning, she advised me to run her car for a bit during lunch. We were in a period of arctic weather and the temp was below zero; with a windchill around ten below.

Of course I forgot to run the car.

When I left work, later that night, to bring her car into the dealership, it wouldn't start; turning over barely - the battery losing charge due to the bitter cold.

Swearing to myself, I got out, went back to my office and called for a jump from AAA.

The tow truck arrived and the guy gave my car a jump.

As I signed for the services by the passenger door of his truck, warm air teasing us; he looked over at me.

"What do you do for a job?"

I looked at him, caught off guard. Thinking for a moment I replied "I'm a Technical Writer"

"Gotta pay more than this job" he replied pointing to his truck as he climbed in and drove away.

No comments: